Earlier this month two postings referred to the risk of serosal (membrane)
fibrosis from the drug ‘PERMAX’.  Once developed, I believe the condition
can be arrested but not reversed.  Given the potentially serious
consequences of this condition I expected further list discussion.

It seems to me that clarification of the likelihood of damage by this drug
is quite urgent. By clarification I refer to investigation into such factors
as, degree of incidence, critical dosage and incidence related to time on
medication. There will be a substantial group of pwp throughout the world
who have chosen to limit sinemet intake and arrest Parkinson’s symptoms
through as required increases in Permax. Many will have been taking higher
doses for longer than those unfortunate people identified in the posted
journal article.

I understand that all drugs offer risk factors. It is up to the patient in
consultation with their medico to assess them. But meaningful assessment is
not possible without accurate information.  Joe Bruman e.g., shed sufficient
light on the TASMAR issue through his research to allow informed decisions
on its use.

Can anyone on the list add to the information already posted about Permax
and serosil fibrosis? There appears to be little about the factors I
mentioned earlier.  E.g., I can find no substantial research into the
incidence of the condition for Permax users. The phrase, ‘rarely reported’,
in the abstract posted by Joe Bruman tells little. Death may have occurred
before the condition was detected.  Moreover, uninformed medicos may not
make causal links to Permax.
On the other hand, perhaps the limited amount of research into the condition
is a good sign. Permax has been around for some time. Maybe the incidence
for the condition has already been researched and found to be small. Further
investigation would be unlikely to attract research interest and funding.
Nevertheless I like to be informed beyond anecdotal evidence before making
medication decisions. Can anyone help?