Heard this on Dr. Bob Lanier's Sixty Minute House call the other day...

22 January 99 Friday Gelatin helps joint pain

Grandma always thought that gelatin was good for your nails and
cartilage, and while the proof is a little light, researchers at Ball
State University, say eating the right type of gelatin helps with joint
pain. ((** There is a huge volume of medical research going into the
premise that eating gelatin like material - shark cartilage comes to
mind - in some way helps joint pain and arthritis - most of it we think
has to do with creating tolerance in the immune system. We know that
common gelatin doesn't do much, but concentrated gelatin marketed under
the name Nutrajoint may make some minor cartilage repairs. It doesn't
affect the immune system, but recent studies in athletes, both male and
female showed a reduction in knee pain over an eight week period when
they took the gelatin. It's a good first step. **)) Gelatin is listed by
the Food and Drug Administration as safe - it's classified as a food
supplement and requires no prescription.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^