On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Lorraine wrote:

> I think Catherine's idea is grand.
>
> -       I would really welcome an overview/statement about the intent and
> objectives of the course before I plunge and discuss.
> -       Vis a vis the one at a time, I agree.  My fear is that if we do them all
> at once, the programs might get confused. (and working with my tangential
> thought processes, it happens!!)   $-)
>
> -       Should their be a time limit to the access for each program?   for
> security/copywright purposes?

Well, here's what I was thinking:  I would like to be able to tell our
systems people who was using our generic login during a specific period of
time and for what purpose, just in case there's ever a security problem
related to this site.  (Not that I think there would be a security problem
associated with anyone directly on this list -- I just want to be up front
about my security breaches because as of yet we have no policies on this,
but clearly we will need and get them soon, and I'd like to have humane
practices in place before that time comes . . . )

So I was thinking that if we had a listserv -- a sort of low-tech online
conference -- I could give that as the purpose for my giving out the login
and password.  Specific access dates, as Lorraine suggests, would help,
too.

I'd also suggest that the discussion be similarly restricted.  That is,
we'd discuss each site for a specific period of time; the teacher? author?
of that site would answer questions posed during that time.  But you'd not
be obligated to answer questions that fall outside of your time frame,
period.  And nobody is obligated to ask questions; if you want to sign up
just to get the logins and passwords, fine.  Presumably a number of
people would find it helpful just to lurk, which would be fine, too.

But these are only suggestions.  I don't want to be a steamroller, here .
. .

Marcy

Marcy Bauman
University of Michigan-Dearborn