I find this perplexing, too.

> What I find truely perplexing, however, is that some of these
> (often well meaning) folk who advocate such mechanistic courses
> often have intense theoretical backgrounds in deconstruction,
> culture theory, various forms of postmodernism etc.  These
> positions contradict their actual practices in ways that I find
> difficult to fathom.  Do their brains turn off or what?

But it's very common.  Those sophisticated theoretical backgrounds
_often_ seem associated with a kind of ignoring of the practical,
right-now, chalkface human realities.  Remember Derrida's piece on
teaching in PMLA?

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~