I agree with you about the problematics of an us vs them mentality, and the
process vs product mentality as well as all other binary oppostions that
lead nowhere.

However, what I find perplexing is the shifting meaning  of what counts as
"American" vs what counts as "Canadian".  To me, the most "Canadian"
position is the refusal to remove "reading" (literary or whatever) from the
curriculum of "writing" courses.  But I now find myself defending this
practice  against charges that this is an "American" importation.  Go figure.

Catherine F. Schryer
Dept. of English
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada