I'd be interested in hearing whether those designing & delivering
online courses are receiving "more time," the "same time," or
"less time" from their institutions. Here at UCC--although there's
no written policy--faculty have been receiving a section release to deliver
an online course; and I understand that some departments at U of Calgary
count one online section as the workload equivalent to teaching
3 sections (ie., a full load).
The "cheap course" scenario may yet come about, though: it's my
understanding that online courses & modules prepared for the
institution become the property of that institution--and can
thus (in the future) be delivered by part-time faculty? This
raises all kinds of questions, eh?
My own not-very-well-thought-out response has been to design
educational resource sites (one on the Canadian poet Earle
Birney and one on Writing in the Disciplines) that can be
used to enhance conventional classroom instruction. I've
stayed away from creating actual online course packages.
Comments?

Will

Natasha Artemeva wrote:

> By the way, I think that
> teaching a quality online writing course requires even more time from
> the instructor than teaching a traditional course. All these dreams of
> cheap courses do not seem to be realistic.

                       < < W.F. Garrett-Petts > >

 English & Modern Languages  ._______
  UCC, 900 McGill Rd         | \   / |    Voice: (250) 828-5248
   Box 3010, Kamloops B.C. --|.O.|.O.|______. FAX: (250) 371-5697
    B.C. V2C 5N3 Canada.__).-| = | = |/   \ |  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
                        >__) (.'---`.)Q.|.Q.|--. http://www.cariboo.bc.ca
                                     \\.-.//
                                      `---'
                   < < Writing is a Performance Art > >