Could it be that primary rhetoric--the doing of rhetoric--flourishes in
a democratic culture, but secondary rhetoric--the study of it--is
something else again, more subject to the various winds of disciplinary
paradigms?  Certainly rhetoric is studied extensively in Canada, but not
often _as_ rhetoric in a collected sense.  Political scientists study
deliberative rhetoric, law profs study forensic, etc.  As for the how-to
side of rhetoric, it is scattered among English departments
(composition, often remedial and despised), public relations,journalism,
etc.

So my quick take would be that the lack of a discipline of rhetoric does
not necessarily mark Canada as anti-democratic or even anti-rhetorical.

--
Doug Brent
Co-ordinator, Undergraduate Program in Communications Studies