Me again-- but since someone (forget who) posted recently re: this FCC
ruling on Feb 25, I thought we should also see this explanation from the
website that exposes errors,hoaxes, and legends.  Please  read this before
you get your advocacy hats on!      The website--again-- is:
 http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blasp.htm

 Internet Access Rumor Revisited

 Dateline: 03/01/99

 The FCC finally issued a ruling on February 25 which has been the subject
of virulent email
 rumors for the past three months. According to the rumors, a decision was
pending before the
 U.S. government whether "to allow or not allow a charge to your phone bill
equal to a long
 distance call each time you access the internet."

 Last week's ruling does, in fact, declare that because Internet traffic is
"largely interstate in
 nature," ISP dial-up connections are properly to be regarded as long
distance calls.

 Does this mean the rumors have come true?

 No. The ruling does not affect consumer charges. It only pertains to the
rates phone
 companies charge each other under existing "reciprocal compensation"
agreements for the
 use of local lines. It upholds the longstanding exemption which prevents
phone carriers from
 passing these costs along to ISPs and thus to consumers.