        This list was compiled at Beloit College in Wisconsin, to help their
faculty understand the general mindset of the incoming freshman ("the
'Net Generation.") As the parent of an 18-year-old, and as a baby boomer
- now on the opposite side of the Generation Gap, I found it interesting
reading.
Linda Herman

                Incoming Freshmen
1. Most members of the class of 2002 were born in 1980.
2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era.
3. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the
Cold War.
4. They have never feared a nuclear war.
5. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII, or even
the Civil War.
6. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up, and
Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.
7. Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
8. Atari pre-dates them, as do vinyl albums.
9. The expression, "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to
them.
10. They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
11. Star Wars looks very fake to them, and the special effects are
pathetic.
12. The compact disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
13. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they
seen a black and white TV.
14. There have always been VCR's but they have no idea what BETA is (Yes
they do -- these days it's a software test edition)
15. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
16. Roller-skating has always meant in-line for them.
17. The Tonight Show has always been with Jay Leno.
18. Popcorn has always been cooked in a microwave.
19. They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a
football player.
20. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
21. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
22. They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
23. The Titanic was found? I thought we always knew where it was.
24. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America and Alabama are places, not groups.
25. There has always been MTV.