ANSWERS IN TEXT ++++++      ++++++++
----------
From: Leila <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tremors
Date: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 11:25 AM

I was asked by a co-worker 1) why do PWD not shake while asleep ;
+++++++++
This is one of the things that medical science is not sure of.  The general
idea is thought to be that our muscular control neural system is pretty
well shut down except for those controls used for maintaining life support.
Some people say they still feel an inner tremor while sleeping...but do we
feel the inner tremor only when awakening?  Who knows?
+++++++++
and
 2) do animals 'get' parkinsons?
++++++++
No, they do not get Parkinson's naturally. This has limited much medical
research because we have no known naturally occurring PD among animals
other than man.  The discovery of the chemical known as MPTP has enabled
experimenters to induce a condition extremely close to naturally occurring
Parkinson's in primates other than man and some other animals. MPTP itself
does not seem to cause PD symptoms, but it can cross the blood/brain
barrier and then degenerate  to MPP+ which is a neurotoxic agent which will
not pass back through the blood/brain barrier and will quickly kill brain
cells to emulate the cell death in man which is called Parkinson's disease.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road
Salisbury MD 21804 USA 410-543-0110