On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, José Pereira wrote:

> Olá! Hello!

Hello José!

> I am a 57 years old man , with about 15 of levodopa. I am now on 5x1/2
> tablet of regular "Madopar 250 mg" (200 mg levodopa + 50 mg benserazida )
> and before sleep 1 "Madopar 125 HBS", the retard formula with 100 mg of
> levodopa (Madopar = Sinemet).

I am 30, have taken Madopar for 1.5 years, on Comtess for 1 month.

Now I take:
-----------
5 x 1.5 "Madopar Quick Mite 62.5"
(5x 1   "Madopar QM 62.5" on those good relaxed days without school stress)
5 x 1   "Comtess" / Entacapone

Before Comtess:
---------------
5 x 2 "Madopar Quick Mite 62.5" - one dose lasted for appx. 2.5 hours, but I
had quite annoying involuntary movements 25-50 minutes after taking the
pills.

(If I was leaning my elbows on a table, and had my hands hanging off the
table in front of my stomach, my left hand was known to twist violently,
pushing my elbow off the table, making me dive into what was on the plate
in front of me. Or, if I minded my table manners and had just my hands on
the table, the left hand would move things around. Great conversation
pieces!)

> taking the alternative  "ENTACAPONE / COMTAN", 5x1 tablet 200 mg a day at
> same time than regular Madopar. I feel better, with ± 20% reduction of
> levodopa, less "off" periods and better mobility, specially in bed. I am

I have also had a very nice reduction in the "off" times, I can still
feel a bit shaky and stiff just before the next dose, but it's manageable.
So - Comtess has helped reduce my Levodopa doses with about 33-50%.
Really great.

> looking  for the best way to take them; to dissolve both tablets in a glass
> of middle temperature mineral water, out of meals is probably a good
> solution.

Somebody gave me the tip to chew them a little bit, and they are actually
easier to swallow then. I don't have any real problems swallowing, but I
think Comtess has an extremely sticky film on them. They feel like they are
impossible to swallow without drinking a small lake!

I take my pills every three hours, (adding an extra 1.5 Madopar Quick in
the evening if I intend to stay up late - my Doc says that's ok) and try
to get the timing so that I don't eat for 15 minutes after taking the
pills. That usually works well.

Take care!
/John.