On 03/09/99 Jennifer wrote:

>At the end of the interview, Mel Brooks comments on the fact that you should never
>put pineapple on Jell-O because pineapple melts protein and it is good to eat pineapple
>after a meal of meat or chicken.  I was wondering if this is true ....snip.......
>I have always heard that you should never put pineapple or other really acidic
>fruit like grapefruit and kiwi fruit in Jell-O.  I never knew exactly why.

Raw pineapple, figs, and some other fruits contain an enzyme that starts
the process of digesting protein. Gelatin is a protein. Cooked or canned pineapple
or the few other fruits that contain that enzyme can be used with gelatin because heat
inactivates the enzyme. This enzyme is the active agent in meat tenderizers. Leave
it on meat too long and it will digest meat to an unpleasant mushy product. Handle a
lot of raw pineapple or figs without gloves and it will begin to digest your hands!

Fortunately, your stomach is protected from protein digesting enzymes and acid by
mucus secreted by specilized glands.

Martha Rohrer