Hi Don,

>Essel program last Sunday night and he was talking about an accupuncture
>method that is supposed to cure PD in a matter of weeks. This is hard to

The principal mechanism in idiopathic Parkinson's Disease is an
insufficiency of the neurotransmitter, dopamine. Nothing can "cure" PD,
except replacing or regenerating the dead brain cells that should be
producing the dopamine.

As to what causes the cell death, no definitive answer has been reached as
yet, though one or more environmental neurotoxins is the most likely answer.
These may include such things as pesticide sprays, especially
organo-phosphates, water-borne metals such as iron and copper, natural plant
substances such as ergot and cycad-palm flour, and some medications such as
anti-emetics and anti-psychotics.

Whether or not acupuncture can relieve PD symptoms is another matter.  From
personal experience, acupuncture treatments for dystonic and dyskinetic leg
muscles (i.e., twisting and writhing) actually aggravated the symptoms.

I believe a cure may come for some sufferers from gene replacement
techniques, new transplanting techniques, or nerve-cell regeneration
techniques, all in the experimental stages at the moment.

I say some, because I don't think that such techniques will aid long-term
sufferers such as myself (15 years), as most, if not all, of the structure
has been destroyed.

(For the technically minded, it is the substantia nigra of the striatum of
the basal ganglia of the cerebellum.)

One of the major contributing factors to dyskinesia (random, uncoordinated
movements, mainly of the arms and legs) in PD are the psycho-chemical
effects of anxiety and stress, and of anti-parkinsonism medications.  Some
relief from these side-effects may be obtained from relaxation and
bio-feedback techniques, etc., and perhaps acupuncture may aid some people
here, though I doubt it, since the interactions between the natural brain
chemicals, PD medications, and the central nervous system, are far too
complex for simple remedies to be effective in all cases and at all times.

Jim Slattery, Australia
Webmaster, Central West PD Web
http://www.lisp.com.au/~cwpdweb