From: serenityplus <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Switching meds--info please?
Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999 10:16 PM

Hi,

I've been in the TEMPO study, which is a drug study for an MAO type B
inhibitor, much like Selegiline. I've been on open label with the dose
still blinded; also, I'm taking Mirapex, barely 1.5 mg/day (had some
dose limiting side effects, like sleepiness, but no orthostatic
hypotension.  I've haven't gotten a good response to Mirapex, and I
feel, much as I would like to put off Sinemet (I'm 54, diag. a year
ago, probably had it from about '89) that my symptoms are really
getting in my way:  tremor is essential, not resting, so it's not a
problem, but the inability to do much with my right hand, and dragging
my right side is getting to be too much.

I'm concerned that trying another agonist like Requip will take
forever (My titration experience with Mirapex was VERY LONG) and may
not do any more, and may cause problems for nothing.  I've read that
it takes weeks or even months to get an adequate response from
agonists.  I've taken Mirapex, albeit in small increasing doses, since
last Sept. and it hasn't done much. I suppose the PD could be
outpacing the therapy also.  Q:  Does Sinemet take long to show a
response?  How tough is it to come off Mirapex (though maybe I
shouldn't).  Any strategies coming to mind on handling starting
generic carbadopa/levodopa with/without Mirapex?

I would be grateful for any response.  Thanks!

Ann