Listfriends:

I recently posted news of the results of the recent meeting of the scientific
review committee of the International Research Grants Program of the
Parkinson's Disease Foundation, out of which awards (for one year, averaging
$35,000) were made to 17 scientists (and teams), chosen from 70 applications,
for a total of more than $600,000.  Now that we have notified all candidates
of the outcome, I can publish this list of those who were successful:

Anders Bjorklund, M.D., University of Lund, Sweden

Delivery of L-dopa and GDNF in Animal Models of Parkinson's disease via
Recombinant Adeno-Associated Virus Mediated Gene.

Jiang-Fan Chen, M.D., Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA

Assessing A2a Adenosine Antagonists as Novel Antiparkinsonian Agents Using an
A2a Receptor Knock-out Model

Robert Chen, M.A., MBChir, MSc, FRCPC, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Canada

Physiologic Effects of Deep-Brain Stimulation in Patients with Parkinson's
Disease

Marie-Francoise Chesselet, M.D., Ph.D., UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles,
CA

Mechanisms of MPTP-Induced DNA Damage: Studies in Genetically Engineered Mice

Richard A. Flavell, Ph.D., Yale Univetrsity School of Medicine, New Haven, CT

The Role of JNK3 Signalling Pathway in Neuronal Death: Practical Implications
for the Study of Excitatory Phenomena in Neurodegenerative Diseases with
Special Reference to Parkinson's Disease

Michael W. Jakowec, Ph.D., The Parkinson's Institute, Sunnyvale, CA

Glutamatergic Compensation after MPTP-Lesioning in Mice

Un Jung Kang, M.D., University of Chicago, Chicago, IL

Dopaminergic Neuronal Survival in Mice Lacking Glutathione Peroxidase

Douglas A. Kerr, M.D., Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD

Role of Survival of Motor Neuron Protein in Neuronal Apoptosis of Parkinson's
Disease

Donald M. Kuhn, Ph.D., Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI

Tyrosine Hydroxylase as a Cytotoxic Protein in Parkinson's Disease

Wei-Doing Le, M.D., Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Nurrl Gene and Parkinson's Disease

Wayne Martin, M.D., University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada

Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Brain Energy Metabolism in Parkinson's
Disease

Uday Muthane, M.D., National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences,
Bangalore, India; Susan E. Daniel, M.D., FRCPath, Institute of Neurology,
London, England, et al

Is There a Difference in Nigral Dopaminergic Neuronal Numbers Amongst Normal
Individuals of Different Racial Origin?

Gabriele S. Schierle, M.Sc., Wallenberg Neuroscience Centre, Lund, Sweden

The Role of Excitotoxicity and Apoptosis in Cultured and Grafted Dopamine
Neurons

Jay S.,Schneider, Ph.D., Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA

The Functional Organization of the Primate Pallidum: Targets for Gene-Based
Therapy for Parkinson's Disease

Michael K. Stachowiak, State University of New York at Buffalo, Amherst, NY

Gene Therapy in Rat Model of Parkinson's Disease

The complete list of successful candidates is being shared with our friends at
the American Parkinson Disease Association and the National Parkinson
Foundation, to prevent duplication with their own excellent programs of
research support.

Congratulations to the successful candidates and thanks to all who submitted
proposals!  Would that we could have funded more of them.

Robin Anthony Elliott, Executive Director, Parkinson's Disease Foundation