I just returned from a visit to my parent's and was able to accompany my
mom on her  visit to an orthopedic surgeon. My mother Joyce (69) was
diagnosed with PD 2/97 but either had striatonigral degeneration or a very
aggressive form of PD. Perhaps independent of the PD, she has such a severe
head flex that her chin touches her chest and she cannot lift her head.
(When she sits in bed propped on pillows, her head lifts up a bit.) Anyway,
the doctor thinks there is something wrong in the neck (tests reveal a good
back) -- she took a nasty fall on her neck, back and head right before her
head slumped (it only took about 3 weeks at most to slump).

If this is a neck problem, the doctor wants to operate to fuse the neck
bones.  The preparation is no fun either -- a stay in the hospital in a
halo device and in traction.

I have 2 questions about this. First, does anyone know whether an
orthopedist is the type of doctor she should be seeing or should she seek
help from a neurosurgeon? Second, can anyone recommend excellent neck
surgeons in the NY or Long Island area. As always, thanks in advance.

P.S. My (beautiful) mom appears with the Young at Heart group on p. 15 of
the Fall/Winter 98-99 issue of The PDF News. She is dead front center
(under the sign), with my sister and I surrounding her (I'm with the Brown
shirt) and my dad second on right! It was taken at the Unity Walk -- the
hottest day on earth.

Debbie White