Judith and all,

Thanks to you and Janet and others for posting the  NEJM info.

But I take issue with the headline in the Reuters report:

"Drug Can Prevent Psychosis In Parkinson's Disease
By Gene Emery"

The use as described in the NEJM is for treatment of psychosis not
prevention.  It would be unreasonably dangerous (and expensive) to use
Clozaril prophalacticly for psychosis due to the risk of aplastic anemia.

In addition for treatment- as others have said there are probably drugs
nearly as good and less dangerous than Clozaril at this point and- except in
an emergency situation- if I were treating a PWP with early psychotic
symptoms I might well try olanzepine or one of the other new neuroleptic
drugs.

I point out the error of reporting in the interest also of demonstrating
that one should take press reports -  especially headlines-  with a grain of
salt. Remember NBC's lead in of a story several months ago which implied
that doctors were doing sham surgery without the patients knowledge-  which
was not substantiated by their own report.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin