March 9, 1999

Dear Friends:

I have had the privilege of working for the National Parkinson Foundation for a little more than two and one half years. In this time, I have felt a great sense of accomplishment in creating awareness of Parkinson’s disease through various public relation initiatives. It gives me pleasure to know that I have made a difference for people with Parkinson’s disease and their families by working for NPF. However, I feel it is time to take the next step in my career path. I have been presented with a career opportunity that after thoughtful consideration, I have decided to accept.

I have formally resigned from my position as Public Relations Director for the National Parkinson Foundation. My last "official" day will be Friday, March

12, but this is not goodbye. Mr. Nathan Slewett, our Chairman of the Board, has decided not replace my position and has asked me to continue my relationship with NPF as a consultant, and I have agreed to assist the Foundation in its public relations efforts on a project by project basis.

Melissa McFarland, who many of you may already know from her work on our 1999 Gala Journal, has been promoted to "Community Affairs Coordinator", and will be the "in house" contact for ongoing and new special projects and programs as related to public relations.

Melissa has been with NPF for nearly two years, and I believe she will excel at creating positive community relations and will do a great job managing my ongoing projects. I’m sure Melissa looks forward to hearing from you all, please feel free to contact her at (305) 243-2985.

Many of you know that I have a personal tie to Parkinson’s disease, and that my commitment to the Parkinson’s community lies far deeper than my employment at NPF. Therefore, I am glad that I will have the opportunity to continue my relationship with the Foundation and intend to remain a member of the family for years to come.

I’m only a phone call away, please feel free to contact me anytime at home

(305) 662-1781 or via pager at (305) 464-8508.

It’s been a pleasure to get to know all of you through the Parkinson Listserv.

Sincerely,

Melinda Brown