Hi Listfriends,

My wife Faye asked me to translate a letter I sent to the Dutch Parkinson list. Because of the translation done anyhow, I decided to share my thoughts with you. Feel free to give reactions or suggestions. I realize that it is very personal and for every patient the things are different. Meanwhile I had an accident with skiing. I slid on my back with my head pointing downhill. With the back end of my right ski dug in the snow I waited for my ski to go off. Unfortunately the ski didn't go off but made my calf  extend extremely. The pain was bad for a few hours but now i have just a sore muscle and I can't ski for a few days. I tried to get it better by doing fitness for an hour yesterday, but as soon as I give my leg rest it gets stiff. What it has to do with PD? Well probably nothing, but on the other hand I was going off. Maybe i should have taken my medication sooner.

An update about my PD from our holiday address in the ski resort Crested Butte where Faye and I are staying at the moment. Faye is attending medical meetings from 6.30 - 9.00 am and from 4.00 - 7.00 pm,  for 5 days. In the time  between the lectures we can ski. Sure, after 10 years of PD I ski downhill,  although I am certainly not a reckless skier. In March last year, on our honeymoon, I skied for the first time downhill. I enjoyed it that much that we will go this year twice. It is very difficult to be "on" at the right time and length of time and not "hyper"  reactive. But I have the same problem when I play 18 holes with golf. Playing 18 holes cost me about 4 hours and it is very difficult to be 4 hours "on" and not "off" or "hyper"

It is a pity, but I must make the conclusion that after 10 years of PD the disease gets more and more  a burden in my daily life. I am not  complaining, because my life is wonderful, but here are some facts. It is some time ago that I passed the 50 % borderline. With  the 50 % borderline I mean the deviation of "good" and "not good". "Good" is when I function as a reasonable healthy person. "Not good" is when I  can not-, hardly- or with much effort- do certain things. Don't think that I'm down and feel pity for myself. That doesn't suit my character. On the contrary I am searching for the best possible  way to cope for the next 5 years, because I am convinced that I will be one of the lucky people who will be cured of this awful illness.

Until that time I try to have the best quality of life as is reasonable to be expected. How ? That is where i am seriously thinking about. and  I will really appreciate any input from your side. I have several possibilities en maybe the solution can be found in a combination from some of the possibilities. It is not so weird to think that the future treatment/cure will be found as an improvement of the now available treatments.

Okay, here is my list
  I want to end this letter with a few general remarks

I want to be cured and want to live as a normal citizen in the United States, work the 15 years I lost with PD (I have PD for 10 years and will be cured within 5 years).

And tomorrow? Tomorrow I go skiing again. I want to go very badly. We are at the moment in Salida. This is our second ski trip this year. After Crested Butte we had a week rest and we travelled last Saturday and Sunday by car to Salida. Today I had a private lesson from a man named Bob. He is 67 and he admired my perseverance to learn skiing with my PD. I didn't feel any pride, I felt just humbled because I think I am  a lousy skier. I am grateful to Bob, because he gave me a lot more pleasure in skiing.
And after this week? I hope to start my own business named "Use it !" per May 1. I will teach people how to use their computer or how to improve their usage of their computer. Further I like to become a father of Fayes' children and to see them grow up in our new place that we are planning to build on our lot, just outside of Waco. And I want to bowl a perfect game (300 pins, my record is 235) which means 12 strikes in a row.

Feel very welcome if you are passing (close) to Waco to stay with us and give us the opportunity to enjoy your company. We will love to meet you.

Warm greetings,

Kees Paap

P.S. I have written about 100 poems of which about 25 about PD. If you are interested I can send them to you as an attachement or in the body (=on this spot) of a message. The files are in  the ".TXT" format, which can be read by any wordprocessor. I Will post in a separate message one of my last poems.