I've just joined the list so I thought I'd better introduce myself as
I'll probably be picking your collective brains in the future. My name
is Jane Watkins and I'm an editor living in London (I edit Fortean
Times, the journal of strange phenomena).

My mother is 75 and was just diagnosed with early stage Parkinson's last
week. I think she mostly feels relief right now that she has something
with a name so she (and the doctor/social services) knows what's going
on. Just before Christmas she couldn't get her breath and ended up
having a heart attack through straining so she's been worried about what
was wrong. We're all trying to be as upbeat and supportive as possible -
I get the research end of the deal!  She's been put on Sinemet which
seems to be beginning to kick in.

At the moment, we're working our way through as many information
services as we can. It's even the basic things like when she should take
her meds etc as no-one explained it to her and the drug information
sheet wasn't passed on by the pharmacy.

Thanks in advance to you all for just being there.

Jane