Debbie,
Here are some thoughts to discuss with her doctor --

> She has no coughing or associated symptoms. She does have a severe head
> flex, however, and always has a saliva problem now.

Many people with PD start to think they're producing more saliva, in
fact that's one of the questions I'm most often asked. So far, I've
never known anyone who actually produced more saliva. Instead, they
often forget to swallow, and the saliva pools in the mouth and sometimes
begins to run out of the mouth. The problem is made worse when the head
is pitched forward and down.

> She says her chewing
> isn't wonderful (problems with lettuce and things like that) but swallowing
> seems to be okay. Her theory is that the increased saliva (because of the
> severe head flex) is causing the painful throat/

Ask her if she swallows as often as she used to. Also, ask if she
breathes through her mouth frequently, especially at night when lying in
bed. This could dry the throat and make it red.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD