My husband Jim is 68.  He was diagnosed in 1973 (age 43).  Symptoms date back
at least to 1970 (age 40).  He had a pallidotomy about 3 years ago which
stopped his dyskinesias, but also had a very complicated recovery (brain
abscess, pneumonia, kidney failure) over about a four month period.  He had
never had hallucinations before the surgery but they have been a constant with
us since.  They are worse when he doesn't get enough sleep or feels bad or has
some other illness going on.  A  month ago he fell and fractured his femur.
Had a rod inserted and is now trying to learn how to walk again. He has been
taking risperdal (1 tablet at bedtime) for the last two weeks and that seems
to help with his hallucinations.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone on the list can help me with.
A particularly disturbing aspect of his hallucinations is the fact that some
times he doesn't recognize me as his wife.  Sometimes he thinks I am somebody
(maybe a twin sister which I do not have) impersonating his wife and at times
he thinks I am a man impersonating his wife.  We can be having a reasonable
conversation and later he will use that as an example of the person who he
says is impersonating me.  Any one have experience with this?

The other question relates to recovery after orthopedic surgery, esp. for hip
or broken legs.  Any thoughts on the length of recovery or the success?
Before this fracture, Jim was walking with a cane and sometimes using a
walker, but he could walk by himself although not for long distances.   Thanks
for your help.

Mary, cg for  Jim 68/43/40