Re: Sore throat

Katherynne Holden writes in an email on this subject, but actually
about overproduction of saliva, the following:

>Many people with PD start to think they're producing more saliva, in
>fact that's one of the questions I'm most often asked. So far, I've
>never known anyone who actually produced more saliva. Instead, they
>often forget to swallow, and the saliva pools in the mouth and sometimes
>begins to run out of the mouth. The problem is made worse when the head
>is pitched forward and down.

Dear Katherynne,

For once I beg to differ with your esteemed opinion.
Since childhood I have experienced periods of increased saliva production.
This is usually brought about by some reason, like biting into a delicious
piece
of food. It used to be so strong that on opening my mouth saliva would come
out
in a spray.
Another occasion would be a visit to the dentist where the saliva production

could be awkward and probably was psychosomatically induced.
In those cases there was a real cause of increased saliva production and not

a sudden cessation of swallowing.

I have known several PWP's, who had undergone palidotomies and developed
excessive saliva production as an aftereffect of the operation, along with
speech and swallowing problems. I cannot go along with the explanation that
the drooling
these people exhibited was just caused by a sudden diminishing of swallowing
and
I don't understand that so many neuro's and other experts seize on the easy
explanation.

I wonder if there are more people that take issue with this.

Will A. Kuipers      Dallas, Texas        78 / 71 / 70