"Will A. Kuipers" wrote:

> Re: Sore throat
> For once I beg to differ with your esteemed opinion.
> Since childhood I have experienced periods of increased saliva production.
> This is usually brought about by some reason, like biting into a delicious
> piece of food.
> In those cases there was a real cause of increased saliva production and not
> a sudden cessation of swallowing.
> I have known several PWP's, who had undergone palidotomies and developed
> excessive saliva production as an aftereffect of the operation, along with
> speech and swallowing problems.

Well, I should know better by now than to make such strong statements,
someone always comes along and shoots me down!

However, I work with speech pathologists who work with PWP, and in every
case I've heard of, the person was in fact swallowing less often, and
often the head was bent forward. When the speech pathologist explained
this and the person began practicing, the excess saliva diminished.

However, it's quite true some people (in fact many of us, including me)
actually DO produce excess saliva under certain conditions, as you
describe. I hadn't heard that pallidotomy could increase saliva
production, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Keep reminding me to be more careful how I word my statements!!

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD