Dear Lee,

> Recently, I came across a material that
> lists the content of protein in grams per 100 gram serving in various food:
> Veal 22, Beef 21, Turkey 20, Lamb 20, chicken 19, Cod 19, Pork 18, egg 12.
> Can anyone varify these figures for me?

In the U.S. we mostly list foods in terms of ounces, rather than grams,
unfortunately. However, 100 grams is about 3.5 ounces. Three and
one-half ounces of beef can vary somewhat, from around 25 - 30 grams
protein. One large egg has about 6 grams protein. So the figures you
show are probably about right for 100 grams per serving.

> are too low. 100g serving of eggs means almost two extra large ones and
> provides only 12 grams of protein?

Eggs are mostly water; a large egg has about 5 grams fat, and 6 grams
protein.

> I am also interested in hearing from those who fast like me in order to
> make the best use of l-dopa. I don't know any other way to stay on
> besides fast. Two pieces of crackers could turn me off for an hour when I
> was on with controlled released formula.

Some people are much more sensitive to protein than others, and some,
like you, find that any kind of food interferes with levodopa
absorption. However, here are some points to consider:

1) Are you often constipated? For some people, constipation seems to
block the absorption of levodopa. When the individual has a bowel
movement, the levodopa begins to work again.

2) Do you always take your levodopa at least 30 minutes before meals?
This is hard to do, and often hard to remember -- particularly if you're
taking levodopa every three hours or sooner. But it's very important,
even with Sinemet CR, if you're having trouble with it "kicking in."

3) Most people need between 40-60 grams of protein daily (about .5 grams
protein per pound body weight). As you mention, it's important to be
sure you get enough protein.

4) Have you found that ALL foods block your levodopa? For most people,
fruits are fine, and may even help with absorption. Crackers, though,
contain a bit of protein, as does bread, and if you are extremely
sensitive to protein, these can  affect levodopa.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD