hi all

At 00:24 1999/03/23 -0600, bob wrote to me:
>For some reason this didn't make it to the list -
>I probably did something wrong again with the computer.
>Could you please forward it?

your message did make it to the list, bob

are you using new e-mail software?
you might want to take a look at the settings/preferences/options
it may be set to send out an html version of your message
as an attachment automatically

also, if you are not seeing your own messages on the list
maybe your pd list subscription settings need to be changed to REPRO
i'll send you the pd list subscription instructions separately

and yes, you probably 'did something wrong again'
because you are human
and that's the way we learn
besides which
you are learning how to use a wonderful new technology
you are on the cutting edge
so i think we are permitted to make cutting edge goofs

in re pallidotomy,you wrote:
>I saw my neuro today, and he suggested that I begin thinking about
>a pallidotomy - that I was on a fast track for treatment?  I've
>only been diagnosed for 5 months or so, and the meds seem to be
>working ok, especially since Ivan suggested stretching out the
>Sinemet (Ivan, the neuro agreed with you on the times).  Can anyone
>suggest why he is pushing to have the surgery soon?  I've had 7
>operations in the past 6 years, and I'm not sure I'm ready for more.
>Also, where can I find more information on this procedure?
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>bob [log in to unmask]

my gut reaction
to your neuro's promoting a surgical procedure

1. which involves creating a non-reversible lesion in your brain,

2. which has been generally used as a measure of last resort when med
and

3. at the first time in the history of parkinson's disease
when there are so many new meds and surgeries becoming available,

is
this medico's got to be out of date, or lazy, or ignorant,
or all of the above

how many parkies does he treat? at what stages?

i've been tweaking my meds for 11 years with lots of success
new meds and surgeries are still way down at the bottom of my list
and i do believe that my response is pretty average for a parkie

five months is barely enough time for your brain to adjust
to the chemical changes that have been tossed at it
since your parkinson's diagnosis
in my humble opinion

titration is the name of this game
guided strictly by care, caution and conservatism
all nestled safely under a huge umbrella of self knowledge and self advocacy

janet

who will never forget joe's story

janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
<http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm>