hi all

At 07:26 1999/03/23 -0500, donna wrote, in part:
>My specific interest in PD has been brought about by the recent
>diagnosis of my father-in-law (77 yrs old) with PD...
>
>He became diagnosed with diabetes approximately 20 months ago...
>was brought under control rather easily with once a day insulin
>injections.  However, he had continued to deteriorate in regard
>his physical ability to get up and get around...
>
>What is the specific experience of PD patients who also have
>diabetes?...
>
>The doctor prescribed Sinemet; 1 25/100 CR for today, asap -
>1 tomorrow morning and another tomorrow afternoon, and then a
>total of 3 for the third day, taking 1 after each meal, which
>is to be his dosage per day for the next month, to see if it
>will help. He second visit is scheduled for 4 weeks from now...
>
>There was no counsel on eating, i.e., how much or what kind of food
>is beneficial or detrimental to taking the Sinemet.  Also, no real
>response to questions regarding the diabetes...
>
>Pat is 77 years old, and prior to the diabetes onset 18 months ago,
>was in good health -- very active.  He is almost chairbound now --
>it's so difficult to walk any distance at all.  His legs just don't
>want to work right -- to obey his will...

donna, i have good news and good news for pat
which do you want first?

1. sinemet will ease his pd symptoms almost completely
as the first stage - the 'honeymoon' stage - of pat's pd career begins

2. there are lots of good neuros out there - find one who
understands how critical titration is to parkies - preferably a
medico who shows a modicum of interest in his patients

3. the pd list archives are a goldmine of information -
we have likely been there and done that - if not - there are now
1800 brains right here, ripe for the picking / digging

in re my own diagnosis experience
here's something i wrote last summer:

onset

for some strange reason
i can't comprehend having pd as depressing
a challenge most definitely
but also 'just another problem' tossed at me that i have to cope with

in 'the road less traveled'
scott peck describes life as being difficult
once i got over the shock of that simple statement
i understood what he meant by changing the way i look at things

if i 'expect' life to be easy
i will always be disappointed and whining about 'fairness'

if i 'expect' life to be difficult
and maybe something i'm supposed to learn from
i will always be challenged and sometimes pleasantly surprised

i had symptoms for a long time before getting up the nerve to go to a doctor
first was the small finger in my left hand while i was typing
cramps and tension
then my left arm
then my left foot

then i was uncomfortable and stiff while walking any distance
i got more and more frightened and
slowed down more and more

i even tried some exercise tapes thinking i was just 'out of shape'
and scared myself silly cause i couldn't do them

when i got the diagnosis of parkinson's disease
i went into a blind panic but that was based on ignorance

it was decided that i needed to go on sinemet right away
so i started eldepryl and sinemet in october 1988
and have been on them since

my trip to canada to see the neuro
involved my having to get a wheelchair
because i couldn't walk the length of the toronto airport

my trip back to bermuda three weeks later, sinemetized,
involved my marching through the airport
with all the bravada and syncopation of a one woman band

eldepryl 10 mg per day has not changed
the sinemet has been increased in quantity and frequency over the years
but any changes have been very slow

so my total med menu is eldepryl, sinemet and prozac

i haven't wanted to start on an agonist until one of
the newer ones has been through a bit of a shake down period

if i'm 'kicked out'
i have a hard time walking, writing, 'doing' much of anything
my symptoms have always been rigidity and bradykinesia, no tremor to speak of

if i'm 'kicked in'
[90 % of the time, except for those dreaded 'hormone' days]
most people wouldn't know i had pd to look at me
i might be a tad twitchy now and again, but nothing major

i must drive my cats nuts
because they'll watch me shuffling around like a 150 year old
and then within minutes i'll be chasing them up and down the house
like a five year old

that's one thing that i relish
the enforced 'on' and 'off' times
have made me appreciate the 'on' times so much more
i am sillier than i've ever been in my life
i used to take a lot for granted
but not now

"titration AND paterson" as the search criteria]: