Dear List Members:

There have been quite a few postings from young onset PWP's lately and it
is evident that there is a lack of young onset support groups.  I do have
several (but not nearly enough) listings of young onset groups.  If anyone
wants to determine if there is a group in their area, please contact me
([log in to unmask]) or by phone (800)327-4545.

If no young onset group exists in your area, I encourage you to start one.
There may be several young people in your area that are also seeking a
group.  We (NPF) have a 'Support Group Leaders Manual" that is quite
thorough and tells you how to go about starting a group as well as ideas
for maintaining the group.  It gives ideas on discussion topics and makes
suggestions for guest speakers.

While in some ways I agree that most everyone can benefit and learn from a
"general" Parkinson's support group, I feel that in many instances, it can
be too overwhelming for a young onset person to join such a group. Often,
it is impossible for the newly diagnosed to differentiate what what they
may see in the older indvidual.  They cannot tell what symptoms are caused
by Parkinson's, what is caused by the normal "aging process" and what may
be caused by other ailments a person may have. Also, a young onset person
has different "issues" to deal with than their older counterpart.  These
issues can include, among others,  employment issues, child rearing issues
(including when and what to tell young children) and  pregnancy and PD.

Sincerely,

Bonnie Cunningham
Patient Services Director
NPF