           1998/02/18 acronyms / purpose of our list / cyber-dad

     hi all

     ...those of us who have been privileged
     to have access to the internet for some time
     are frequently guilty of using 'insider' language and short-forms
     without regard for the newer internet adventurers

     i consciously try to avoid using such insider 'lingo'
     in consideration of the above-mentioned 'newbies' and
     in consideration of the international aspect of this list-family

     i am privileged in that
     english [my native language - albeit the canadian version]
     is becoming or already has become
     the internet's primary language

     i only have admiration for those who have learned english
     as a second [or third, or fourth...] language

     so...

     SPAM
     = that canned manufactured pseudo ham
     = 'junk' e-mail spewed to all and sundry

     LOL
     = laughing out loud

     ROTFLOL
     = rolling on the floor, laughing out loud

     PD
     = parkinson's disease

     PWD or PWP
     = person with parkinson's disease

     PARKIE
     = another version of person with parkinson's disease

     in re the above two terms:
     you pays your money and you takes your choice!

     words / ideas that are written can be easily misunderstood
     [especially, it seems, when the tone is casual and teasing]
     since there is no body language / facial expression
     to assist the receiver in interpretation
     so short-forms and 'emoticons' like:
     <g> = grin or giggle
     :-)   = smile
     have developed for clarity's sake

     the internet and e-mail are a brand new communications phenomenon
     so in the larger sense, we are all 'newbies' to this medium...

     IMHO = in my humble opinion,
     FWIW = for whatever it's worth,
     sometimes very short messages can 'backfire'
     in the sense that the sender may intend a kindness in being brief
     but the receiver may interpret the brevity
     as curtness or criticism

     some of our cyber-family want short messages
     some want long messages
     some want jokes
     some want purely pd-related info

     we are each of us totally unique one-of-a-kind individuals
     [how's that for excess redundancy?]
     we have to do
     what we have to do
     to be true to ourselves
     and not be overly concerned with others' opinions of us

     i believe that the purpose of this list is sharing
     [of which our 'list-mom' barb patterson perpetrated the ultimate
     by starting this list in november 1993]
     if we feel the need to share
     news about pd or non-pd
     grief or celebration
     anger or humour
     joy or pain
     so be it

     ...i hope all of us continue writing to all of us
     we are in this 'boat' together and for the 'long haul'

     each one of us
     regardless of our skill or comfort level with the internet
     has something to contribute which might benefit others

     ...i think that 99% of angry reactions
     are caused by mis-understandings or mis-interpretations
     and the best [maybe only] way to clear out the mess
     is to talk it all out

     back to our favourite cyber-dad don mckinley
     and his expression I.Y.Q.:
     which as pronounced in english sounds like:
     'eye why kew'
     which if said quickly can sound like:
     'i wike you'
     which can sometimes be interpreted as 'baby-talk' for:
     'i like you'

     i have always found the expression delightful
     as well as more than a tad goofy
     which is another reason why
     i.y.q. 2!
     [mr. don and mr. pd both!]

     your cyber-sibling in silliness
     [yr cybyr-cyblyng yn syllynyss]

     janet

janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
<http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm>