Sue,

My husband with pd had the same experience with Ativan.  He was in the
hospital for a pace maker, Ativan was given to him before and after
surgery.  Immedistely following surgery the symptoms started.  It got so
bad he had to be restrained as he kept trying to get out of bed and he
had hallucinations galore.  This went on for 5 days as the hospital
continued to give him Ativan.

Finally my son looked in the PDR to learn more about the drug since this
behavior continued to be so unlike anything we had ever experienced.
First, it said not to give the medication to seniors following surgery (
in my opinion not before surgery either). It also said how long it would
take for the medication to leave his system.  We demanded the hospital
discontinue Ativan, not an easy thing to do as they follow the doctors
orders.  It was stopped and within the exact time stated he started
getting better.  He apparently had an over dose which kept him in the
hospital for over a week.

He is now in the hospital and Ativan is written on everything that he is
not under any circumstanes to be given this drug.  Unfortunately he has
been in the hospital for a month in serious condition.  He had quadruple
by pass surgery which was successful, however his heart was having
fibrillation problems and the cardiologist said he would need a
defibrillator.  This surgery did not go well and shortly following the
surgery he had a stroke leaving his left side paralyzed.  He is having a
hard time pulling out of this, we think his best chance of recovery in
through prayer.

Good luck to your father.  You are wise to check medication that effects
some this way.

Carolyn Johnston  [log in to unmask]

"I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I will not let
what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
                                       - Edward Everette Hale