From: [log in to unmask] (Billie Cook)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:32:08 -0600 (CST)
To: [log in to unmask] (PSP Discussion), [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: virus alert

--WebTV-Mail-862128182-170

There was a big article in the Dallas Moring News about the Melissa
virus and how rapidly it spreads, seems it has caused several large
corps,.to shut down their email servers.Affects Microsoft Outlook and
Outlook Express(Windows 98 and some 95).i don't have a computer so I
won't have a problem but tho't some of you might. Email infected with
the Melissa virus has a topic line that begins "Important Message
From.'' Next is a sender's name which is often the name of someone known
to recipient.The message says "Here is that document you asked
for...don't show anyone else ;-)" Attached to it is 40K Microsoft Word
document named list.doc. They say don't open the attachment, opening
message will not cause virus to copy address list and send itself
out.Disabling macros in MS Word will make it ineffective. For more info
Carnegie Mellon University's Computer Emergency Response team has
posted info about Melissa on the web at
www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-04-
Melissa-Macro-Virus.html/.
Microsoft also has a patch available at
www.microsoft.corn/security/bulletins/ms
990-002.asp.
Sendmail has a patch at
www.sendmail.com.
I'm send all this for whatever it may be worth.
Have fun and BFN.
Billie Cook

--WebTV-Mail-862128182-170