Bob,

I agree with what has been expressed by most others.  Pallidotomy is not an innocuous procedure. It can cause side effects and in any case it causes irreversible changes in the brain. It destroys brain tissue.  Especially with other promising techniques like DBS being used I think that Pallidotomy should be put off as long as possible and then when meds no longer are able to give you reasonable relief from your symptoms then  consider all the options available at that time.

Charlie

double a enterprises wrote:

 I saw my neuro today, and he suggested that I begin thinking about a pallidotomy - that I was on a fast track for treatment?  I've only been diagnosed for 5 months or so, and the meds seem to be working ok, especially since Ivan suggested stretching out the Sinemet (Ivan, the neuro agreed with you on the times).  Can anyone suggest why he is pushing to have the surgery soon?  I've had 7 operations in the past 6 years, and I'm not sure I'm ready for more.  Also, where can I find more information on this procedure?  Thanks in advance for your help,bob [log in to unmask]

--
Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin