karen,

i was diagnosed 8 years ago at the age of 48. at that time my two
toungest were 22 and 13. my wife and i immediately told our children. we
didn't know much about pd, so our kids learned with us.

a mistake i made, was asking them not to tell anyone. i was having a
tough time accepting it myself. i went through the normal depression,
denial, reluctant acceptance, and finally " what the hell. i have it,
let's deal with it". i have learned that complete openness about the fact
that i had pd was beneficial to both me and my family.

i try to keep my kids apprised of my progression( they probably know it
long before i tell them).

i have also learned that feeling sorry for myself is a waste of time and
energy.  as scarlett o'hara so succintly put it,"i'll worry about that
tomorrow"

murph brown