I am forwarding a message sent to me from a new member, Bill Harshaw, who
is helping to spread the word about the Archibishop. Great job, Bill!  Barb

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Harshaw <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fw: Archbishop Desmond Tutu

copies of my letters

Vice Chair
The Parkinson Foundation of Canada

March 23, 1999

The Rt. Rev. T. E. Finlay
Bishop of Toronto
135 Adeliade Street East
Toronto, Ontario
M5C 1L8

Dear Terry,

You cannot imagine how thrilled I was by your positive response to
Archbishop Tutu's initiative to heighten awareness of Parkinson's Disease.
I am sure that the rest of the Canadian Church will follow the example of
Toronto.

Your support as I have traveled on my Parkinsonian journey has been very
important to me.  As you know attitudes today, in many ways, are little
changed from Biblical times when those that had ‘the palsy' were classed
with the possessed and lunatics.  People still cross over to the other side
to avoid what they do not know and understand.

World Parkinson Day, April 11, presents a wonderful teaching opportunity
for the Church on hope, inclusivity, and chronic illness.  You have seen me
at my Parkinsonian worst and best: I have been given a second chance at
life.

I have attached a copy of the release announcing Tutu's initiative and
will deliver a copy of the Archbishop's prayer to you as soon as I can to
facilitate your circulating it to the clergy.

Thank you for your commitment to heightening the awareness of Parkinson's
Disease in the Diocese of Toronto.

Yours in Christ,

attachment  cc The Most Rev. M. G. Peers

March 24, 1999

The Rev. Gordon Light
Executive Assistant to The Primate
The Anglican Church of Canada
600 Jarvis Street
Toronto, Ontario
M4Y 2J6

Dear Gordon,

As discussed on the ‘phone yesterday, enclosed are copies of my letter to
Bishop Finlay and the announcement of Archbishop Tutu's initiative to
increase the public awareness of Parkinson's Disease.

World Parkinson Day, April 11, is an excellent opportunity for The Anglican
Church of Canada to adopt a leadership position in the crusade against
Parkinson's Disease.

I hope that Archbishop Peers shares Terry Finlay's enthusiasm for the Tutu
initiative.  I will arrange to have the prayer in your hands to facilitate
The Primate's distribution of it.

Yours in Christ,

enclosures