Listfriends,

Sorry to have worried anyone--

 I was very tired when I sent the previous message about Archbishop Tutu
calling me again. I somehow missed  transmitting the "d" in "friend" at
the end of my message, as well as
the closing,  my cyber-signature, and my "smile"  .  They were all on my
"Write" screen when I clicked my mouse on "Send Mail", but somehow I lost
them, apparently at the moment of transmission.

 I'm OK, just fatigued from the endless caregiver search, and new gaps in
my schedule to fill, including Sunday and Monday evenings and overnights.
 The result is I may have to miss the ceremony at the Maine Senate and
House on Monday, April 5 at 10 AM, for the PD Awareness Resolution!  I
hope a fast solution presents itself to me.

 State law until it changes only pays night attendants $9 for the ENTIRE
night-this is insanity, and I DO  NOT have supplementary money - I can't
even pay for internet access, let alone things like caregiver night wages
for the two nights my live-in attendant is off-duty.

  I asked the APDA offfice in New York -  they do not prioritize PD
caregiver wages to help  very low income PWP's financially, and that
policy really proves  that, unfortunately, PD is still very much a
"designer" disease.

  We poorer PWP's have so many doors opening, but so many battles to
fight.

Ivan  :-)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:24:39 -0500 Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>about the wages of personal care attendants.  There is now a huge
>effort to bring about a raise from $6.25 per hour to $8 or $9 per hour
> It is an effort 600 of us in wheelchairs or with limits on mobility,
>are involved in at the legislature. I am still a little overtired.
>
>I will send a copy of this to Jaqueline Smith, the Archbishop's
>secretary in Atlanta who incidentally, has a law degree.
>
>The Archbishop somehow made me feel very protecteded.
>
>I actually talked to an Episcopal priest recommended to me by an
>Episcopalian frien

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses       37  deg. F   :-)