Dear Will:

I read intently the story about Harley.  I understand your frustration but the
dog or cat cannot be held accountable.  They are rejects from people who took
neither the time nor the patience to train them.  Animals are large
responsibilities  taking more care than a baby  at times.
They are insecure, protective, destructive, rude, hyper, anything that a wild
thing can be.  But I must ask what was expected from the Shelter?  They
operate on a meager budget from the states and cities.  I don't know if all
animals in these establishments are fair and decent in their treatment of the
animals.
But it was not Harley's fault.  He was trying to be a dog, which by the way is
endowed with a part of the wolf.  Every dog has that.  The dog and cats are
bought and given to children as pets.  Some believe that the pets should be
able to run unleashed, they get hit and are killed.  They are tortured by
adults and children and then left for dead.
I personally know of a Doberman that belonged to a couple.  Things didn't work
out and they split up.  The man came back for the dog, and was told it ran
away.
The deserted the  house which was sold in a group of homes to be gutted and
redone.  The crew found what was left of this dog chained in the basement with
no food or water.  Her punishment, nothing.  They could not prove she did
anything.  I say chain her to the basement with no food or water.
I am sorry at the length of this but you have touched a nerve.  I just say if
your really don't want a pet don't get one.  If your kids beg you for a pet
don't listen.  And if you see an animal being abused report it.

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs and they are a handful.  I would love more but I
don't think I could take care of them as good as these.  I have them neutered
and spayed.  No reproduction to take care of.  They were trained, and get
food, water, exercise, play, love and they are suited to the size of the
house.  In fact both dogs are somewhat odd.
I have a runt that no one wanted cause her face isn't perfect.  Now she wasn't
to be shown but she is smart, learned most tricks and knows no, stay, down, go
potty,  and is a baby she was 2 lb. when I got her from the people who said
no.  That is Abby, Bandit is my special needs dog.  Her liter was kept outside
and all the neighborhood kids abused them.  Bandit hates kids.

My I suggest if your wish to obtain a pet, read a little before you go.  Dog
Fancy is a great dog rag, always has articles on get a pet.  Ask a friend to
go with you, someone should now a little about pets.  If a dog has really big
feet it will be huge.    I am so sorry that your experience was disappointing.
One suggestion and I had one is a white rat.  Not a river rat and bred rat.
They are clean, they don't bite, they are very close and will be small
company.  My Vinnie was wonderful.

Good luck Will

Gina
A GIANT PET LOVER