-----Original Message-----
FromDick Swindler<[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, 30 March 1999 11:49
Subject: Re: DBS>

You may remember I contacted you sometime ago. I have had a DBS to the sub
thalamic nucleus almost two years ago and have had bad and painful dystonia
as a result.  I even went to Grenoble last October to see if they could fix
it as the general apathetic response from the local Doctor was pretty
hopeless. Professor Pollak, who works with Prof Benabid, was great and reset
the stimulator also advising me to try and reduce my Sinemet and eventually
arrest it altogether(I had already cut it in half since the surgery). As an
alternative he prescribed Parlodel.  I tried for three months but had bad
shakes and eventually swelling of the feet and infected ankles.  I then
tried Permax but didn't fare much better. The sinemet now causes dystonia
without much pain but total rigidity of the leg and thigh muscles. I tend to
find myself with a John Cleese walk.
I was delighted to see you had a good reaction to Mirapex, which will soon
be available as Sifrol in Australia (sounds like a VD treatment).  Could you
tell me how much you're on and if you titrated how much did you start with?
I am generally okay and don't regret having the surgery but it obviously
clashes with the sinemet.

 Hope you are well.

Kind regards

Peter Dawkins