Will,
you made some valid points, and are to be commended about rescuing a dog
from the pound......but (don't you just hate that word?)  you've discovered
why you might be advised to buy pets from individuals.  yes, I've heard all
the horror stories about pet factories, but there are other views as well.
My wife and I raise border collies and Corgi's, and sell the puppies as
added income.  All these dogs are members of our family, when you buy one,
you know what you are getting, and can usually see the sire as well as the
bitch.  I also give 30 day money back, no question asked guarantee with all
animals.  You need to take your dog to a trainer for lessons - and then you
need to take lessons from the trainer as well.  This will make your dog more
fun, and more safe for both of you
bob