janet paterson wrote:

> hi all
>
> At 16:28 1999/03/28 -0700, karen wrote:
> >Does anyone out there have problems with sleeping because of PD and/or
> >meds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Karen (diagnosed 2 months
> >ago@ 42 - now 43)
> >      8-)
>
> 'they' say that
> between 40% and 60% of all people with parkinson's disease [pd]
> also have clinical depression [cd]
>
> sleep disturbance - either not enough or too much -
> is one of the primary symptoms of cd
>
> i have written several messages to the list in the past about cd
> and have posted them on my website
>
> janet
>
> janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
> <http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm>

My husband also has problems with sleep. Last summer after we read an
article about cannabinoids likely to help PD(Proceedings of the national
academy of science 7.7.98 but i can't find the art. at the moment) some
young friends gave us a couple of reefers. John, my husb.(70)a
non-smoker, wasn't going to try. I add that he is not taking any med.
although he has had PD for about 10 yrs. Nothing religious but tries to
put meds. off for as long as possible. Last january,after several bad
nights ( and days) he decided to try the marijuana. After 3-4 puffs he
stopped,saying his head was spinning. He sarted to sweat and had a bad
urge to go to the bathroom. Since he had also turned, as they sang:'a
whiter shade of pale' I was a little worried. The urge went and I helped
him to bed, his legs having gone rubbery...And he slept, without waking
up all night.A very restful sleep. The effect lasted for 3 nights
without smoke. This experience having scared him a little, he didn't
touch the stuff until last week when again the nights were getting
impossible. This time he stopped after 2 puffs and slept well for 2
nights. Is it better or worse than sleeping pills?
I heard some israeli firm Pharmos, is doing some clinical trials with
dexanabinol, a synth. of cannabis which does not give euphoria, in order
to find some new treatment.

Maryse