Dear Jean:  Thank you for letting us know on CASLL (the Inkshed listserv)
that you've nominated Phyllis Artiss for a President's Award for
Distinguished Teaching at Memorial. I'm delighted that I can send along my
cyberthoughts on Phyllis.

In Inkshed we all owe Phyllis a great deal for her involvement in our
organization:  she has published in our newsletter and attended
conferences and has always contributed so much to our discussions about
how to teach writing in our Canadian universities.  As all of us who know
her realize, it's not just her insightful observations about our
discipline that are important--it's that she brings her own wonderful
personality to the debate.  She's engaged, friendly, and above all
respectful of everyone's point of view.  As a colleague we couldn't ask
for more:  as a teacher these qualities are the obligatory requirements
for a Distinguished Teaching Award.

May I wish you well compiling Phyllis' dossier:  I'm sure it's not at
all a task, but a  pleasure.

Regards, Mary-Louise Craven
Associate Professor, Social Science Division,
Faculty of Arts, York University
Toronto, Ontario