Re Rob's comments:  Of course, I can raise my hand and announce that I have
constructed an on-line course--by the seat of my pants--a real work of
bricolage, a cobbling together of various things.  A cobbling together
because if I didn't do it, someone else would have, and I would not have
liked what they did.  And yet given the inertia of Universities, once a
course is constructed, it remains for years and years and years.

I guess my real point is--I think that many of us might find ourselves
facing this dilemma in the next few years.  It would be good to get together
to talk about what works and what doesn't, the politics involved etc.

And by next year, more of us will probably be faced with the prospect of
designing a course.   And more of us will actually have had the experience
of designing and running one.

Catherine F. Schryer
Dept. of English
University of Waterloo