Andrea and all --

Well, we're right into the discussion of W.C. issues, and Andrea has
helped with a number of them. The Ohio practice of allocating a limited
number of hours and then deducting no-shows does make practical sense
-- but along with calling to remind people, it depends on a precise
record-keeping system and people to staff it. At U of T, the various
small decentralized writing centres rarely have that kind of system or
person. Is that a problem elsewhere too? (Anybody have to make their
own appointments, interrupting tutoring sessions? A few of us still
have to do that here.) One disadvantage would be that some students
need more times than others do; and the system might encourage a
flurry of "fake" appointments towards the end of the year, to be
cancelled with impunity. (Is it fair to impute intention to this
practice? Lack of clear planning seems to be the main cause of it,
in my experience. Though we can encourage it by having a weak
system, I guess.)

And of course you're right, Andrea, about the "proofread this"
syndrome coming from faculty just as much as from students. I've
bearded a few profs about that kind of referral too, not always
with the effects I wanted (one stopped referring: proofreading
was all he saw room for). So it's back to more efforts to
educate the faculty (!), as well as to clarify publicity without
sounding too stern or unwelcoming. And in fact students often _do_
need to learn editing practices by seeing it done well. Sometimes
I think the main effect of WAC initiatives is on faculty: they become
more aware of the functions and processes of writing, at least, even
besides what students may learn.

Has anyone made real headway in changing the culture on this one (i.e.
the immediate question of whether writing teachers should focus on
editing, as well as the big question of what learning to write means),
either among students or among faculty colleagues? Do writing courses
make a difference, at least in clarifying students' expectations about
writing-centre work? Do WAC programs help change things? And if one
practice or another helps, how do you know?

Regards,

Margaret.

--

(Dr.) Margaret Procter                  Room 216, 15 King's College Circle
Coordinator, Writing Support            Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H7