Jennifer--

Hi!  I knew that you had migrated to Sask but had not gotten around to
checking in to see how you are doing, so it's good to see you on the
list.

At CCCCs this year the Canadian group was lamenting, privately and
publically, the sad state of Rhetoric in most English departments, so
you're not alone.  It doesn't seem to have to be that way, but it so
often is.  Here, Engineers are required to take one of three
communication courses.  Even when the Englsh dept did offer composition,
none of their courses was on the list.  I think you'll be much more at
home in a professional faculty--maybe it's that they treat people and
their disciplines professionally.

The Lethbridge plan is quite vague at the moment.  For the benefit of
the people on the list who haven't heard about this: the U of C is
trying to establish more of a presence in rural Alberta and considered
offering a Bachelor of General Studies with a minor in Communications at
Lethbridge.  It would be a full-featured University program; we would
only rent space from Lethbridge Community College.  However, I insisted
that it be done right, with full time faculty, access to research, etc,
since the university has been trying to define itself as a research
institution to distinguish itself from colleges.  The result is that the
tuition we would have to charge would be astronomical.

The plan is still under investigation but we are going to have to think
very carefully about whether it's worth it, and what the point would be
of establishing a U of C program in a community that already has a
university.

--
Doug Brent
Co-ordinator, Undergraduate Program in Communications Studies