I've been thinking about our proposed panel topic in light of the
conversation that is emerging about on-line courses.  It sounds like few
of us actually have on-line courses.  Is it premature to do this on-line
distance ed. thing?  We might all have more to say in two or three years
from the sounds of people's comments like "I'm about to..." "I'm being
forced to ... " develop on line stuff.
        I'd hate us to wind up trying to powwow on this topic when we've got
neither the fuel for pow, nor the glamour for wow. I've seen many Cs
presentations where the people are just starting out in the endeavour
they are speaking of, and those talks are inevitably lame. Good talks
involve people speaking from experience. Is there an area where we have
stronger collective experience?
        Or maybe I should ask the question this way.  Hands up all those who
can actually talk about on-line distance ed.?  If the number doesn't
meet quorum, or if those who are experienced won't be going to
Minneapolis, then the topic is a bust already.

I can tell you that I have nothing to say, but I have a colleague here
at Toronto, who has recently done a course, and when the official call
comes, I will encourage her to respond. She is, I believe, the only one
doing distance ed at To. (online or otherwise).

Rob Irish

Dr. Robert Irish
Coordinator of Language Across the Curriculum
Applied Science and Engineering
University of Toronto
416-978-6708