Virginia Ryan wrote:

>     As to a conference directly related to Canadian writing centres - I'd
> definitely be interested in such an event. I wonder: is this an idea
> whose time has come?

I hate to be the naysayer, but I don't think Writing Centres are a big
enough force in Canada to warrant an entire conference; however, I think
that CATTW or Inkshed might devote more time to writing centres.  CATTW,
in particular, has had a roundtable each year but I would like to see
them actually take a day of session papers on writing centre issues,
making it an explicit part of the call for papers.  That would serve a
couple of purposes: 1. it would give those of us in writing centres a
more spacious forum to discuss, and 2. it would open CATTW to people in
other disciplines who are also involved in writing centres, and thereby
increase the interdisciplinary dialogue.
        The American conference not yet mentioned is the obvious one: 4Cs.  It
always has tons of stuff on writing centres. (This year I spent almost
the entire conference at sessions on WAC or Engineering.  That kind of
specialization is possible).

Rob Irish

Dr. Robert Irish
Coordinator of Language Across the Curriculum
Applied Science and Engineering
University of Toronto
416-978-6708