On  6 Apr 99 at 23:02, Callie M. Judd wrote:

> Just for the record- my husband had a severe case of food poisoning with an
> extra
> high fever at the time many years ago.  He was diagnosed at age 57 with PD....
> He also has always had chronic fevers/with chills- which he attributes to a
> malaria
> condition in the military service and deals with it with aspirin and
> blankets- not as
> many in his 60's as his 50's.
>               I understand someone is presently compiling a national data
> base con-
> cerning lifestyle experiences of all PWP's.  I've often thought there would
> be a
> benefit if all agencies, medical sources, etc. could get together and compile
> info
> on personal background of all PWP's- It seems some of the new monster
> computers could maybe find a common denominator?  Anyone have more info on
> such info. projects?                                Marie

All the recent talk of high fevers and Parkinsons has me
contemplating past illnesses.

I don't think we should read too much into documenting every long
past fever.  If I look back in my life I could point out some time
when I ran an abnormally high temp.  We all (PWP's & non-PWP's)
could.

That said let us not forget the encephalitis (flu) epidemic right
after the first world war and the attendant high temperatures and
fever that spawned (years later) the Parkinson state of the
individuals brought to light in Oliver Sacks book "Awakenings". That
link has been documented.

Viruses have long been suspected as a possible cause of Parkinsons.
I am sure all of us at some time in our lives have had sessions of
flu and fever.

The question is why would some develop Parkinsons and others
with the same environment and similar illnesses escape??  I'm afraid
even the most informed can only guess.

Perhaps a data base as Marie suggests would have some benefit but it
would have to address ALL the myriad variables.   (Age of onset,
diet, water source, injuries ie: blows to the head, illnesses,
exposure to toxins,  genetics, etc. etc.)