I agree with you, Ruth!!  I  appreciate especially your comments on why
PD is at times, FATAL.
By NOT sugar-glossing we can show the public the real truth.  I guess I
sound a little blunt.

Ivan.

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:35:31 EST ".Joan Waterman" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I had worked up an enthusiasm for helping "spread the word" that Jim's
>letter
>inspired and true to PD, my wobbly hand dragged across the numerical
>delete
>and I lost the whole thing!  My letter of inspration  destroyed.  Now
>I don't
>know if I can get motivated or not.
>
>I will say that I have been negligent about getting involved with the
>current
>activities, but I shall try to do something now.  The NPF has set up a
>branch
>(?)here in Jacksonville and I will call them to see what we can do
>here to
>educate the media about Parkinson Awareness.
>
>I think one step has been taken by two of the organizations merging
>that will
>help. I think the national organizations should work together more.
>
>As far as trying to get people to understand PD, I don't know if it
>is
>possible or not Sometimes I can't realize just what "designer disease"
>is that
>we live with. Most times our care givers and close family and friends
>don' t
>understand why you can be one way and the next minute another.  Why
>you can be
>laughing and joking and suddenly wanting to cry! Why you can be
>walking and
>suddenly have to crawl! Why they may see you out to dinner and a short
>time
>later flat on your back on the bed!
>
>It is a mistake to say that PD doesn't kill.  Our hearts cannot always
>take
>the strain, thus heart attacks.   Our breathing problems bring on
>pneumonia.
>Constipation has brought about death. No doubt choking, because of
>swallowing
>problems have resulted in death.
>While I'm not aware of any particular case, I'm sure ther have been
>those who
>could not handle the misery and took their own life!  No we don't like
>think like that, but it's reality. We should not always show such a
>brave
>public face.  However, I doubt that people really want to know the bad
>part!
>
>I haven't the eloquence I had worked up in my lost message, but the
>meaning is
>here so I'll let it go at that. Let's hope the Parkinson Awareness
>movement
>will work wonders for the future.
>
>Ruth Clark

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)