Initial market research report -- Pennies for Parkinson's

Pittsburgh, March 29 1999

I have taken three approaches to this new Pennies for Parkinson's campaign:

1)Put canisters in local retail stores.
2)Give canisters to friends, neighbors,  and relatives to collect their
change in.
3)Give canisters to friends, neighbors,  and relatives and ask them if they
already have a can, box, or jar with loose change in it, to dump it in the
canister and return it to me.

Market research on retail stores

All the initial data is not in, but it appears that the best place to put
Pennies for Parkinson's canisters  is in ice cream stores.  Prior to the
April first kickoff date, I decided to do little market research into where
the best locations might be and what type of weekly revenue might expect.
The early data shows the Brewster's OLD FASHION ICE CREAM STORE TO BE THE
HANDS DOWN EARLY WINNER.  There one-week tally was nearly $15, and it is
still cold here in Pittsburgh.  The local grocery store pharmacy was second
with approximately $6.  Surprisingly, an optical store, finished third with
about $5.

What to use for cannisters(Serendipity strikes again)

It's only right that the ice cream stores appear to be the optimum place to
place your canister.  That is because when searching for the canisters, the
first place that came through for me was Brewster's.  They gave me 500 - 1
quart canisters that they used to and pack ice cream.  They seem about
ideal.  They are sturdy and have a lid which is light cardboard so that you
can cut a slot for coins in it. Baskin and Robbins came through with 100
more.

I also made up some additional labels.  Avery #8164 White shipping labels
are 3.33"x4" (150 for $10).  Again perfect.  Finally I used return address
labels to give a local address and phone number.

Canisters to neighbors, relatives and friends

First I think it's better to actually give them and empty  canister, rather
than just asked for contribution.  With the latter they may well have good
intentions but forget about it.  When you give a canister, they have
something tangible which begs to be filled.
I suggest you tell them not to count the  money.  Deborah and I found two
such containers in our house.  One a rather small custard bowl had 11
dollars and 50 cents.  The other about the size of a one pound coffee can,
had 42 dollars in it.

PS another data point

I had just finished counting the loose change from my neighbor in the
apartment above me.  He went into his closet and came back with three
mismatched glass mugs.  Each was full of loose change.  It filled my quart
ice cream container. ($17.75 in quarters, $30 and dimes, $10.55 in nickels,
and $5.54 in pennies)--$63.84.

Now he's a nice guy.  And if  I ask him, he would probably make a
contribution to Parkinson's.  He'd write out a check for $10, $15 may be
even $25.  But he just handed  me $65.  "Thars gold in them thar hills" or
at least a lot of loose change in cans and jars in people's homes.  In most
cases it will go for Parkinson's research if only we ask.

 I had thought that the  Pennies for Parkinson's campaign would be
successful.  The Udall Bill legislative effort energized a lot of people
with Parkinson's who are waiting to do something constructive.  Time and
time again the grassroots support has been amazing.  But if my recent
sampling is at all typical of what we can expect, it's going to be a
smashing success.