Quick note.
File for SSDI (or SSI) if appropriate.  You won't get rich on their payments,
but you'll be less poor.  Carol filed early in her PD and was rejected.  We
did not appeal, probably dumb on our part.  Then we waited close to 8 or 10
years. We reapplied following the guidelines in some papers that John
Cottingham sent us.  We were successful and they paid us one year retroactive
from when we filed.  But we had lost 3 to 6 years when we probably would have
received payments.  (I am still working full time.)

The amount you will receive is dependent upon your SS work history and must
be found disabled within a small? number of years of when you stop working
under SS.
Delaying filing just caused hassles which the people working at the
Worcester, MA office helped us through.

I have changed 'puters and don't think I can find the papers the John sent
me, but if you search the archives for John and SSDI and SSI you should
probably be able to find them.

I know that this is different from LDI, but $'s is $'s -- no matters who
sends it.

Good luck (and be persistent),