From: serenityplus [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 1999 10:15 PM
To: Margaret Tuchman
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Phone Script

Hi Margaret,

The following is loosely but pretty much what I said to all the stores
I called, many of which, are chain stores.  Elements of the script are
Bill's words from his script, and some are from what seemed to suit me
my situation.  I didn't always say all of the below; I varied it alot
so that hopefully, I didn't come across as a telemarketer, and so I
could more naturally respond to each person I talked to.

Hope this helps.

Charlotte

                    PHONE SCRIPT

THIS IS A GUIDELINE ONLY;  IT CHANGES AS THE SITUATION CHANGES AND
SHOULD BE TAILORED TO SUIT YOU AND WHO YOU ARE ASKING:

Ask for the store manager,

"Hi I'm, _____________, a volunteer from our local Parkinson's support
group working in a grass roots effort to raise funds for Parkinson's
disease research on behalf of the National Parkinson's Foundation."

(I like to stress local, community, and grass roots; locals with
Parkinson's, but with the legitimacy of a National organization.)

"During April, which is Parkinson's awareness month,
we're going to our local merchants in the community, and asking
permission to place our coin cans at your registers.
May we count on you to support this effort?"

(Silence at this point; let them have the floor to answer your
request. If yes, work out how many cans, and other details, and that
you will be in to empty or swap cans, and bring in official
literature. Then reassure them that...)

"All of the donations raised from the Pennies for Parkinson's campaign
will go to the Parkinson Alliance, an affiliate of the National
Parkinson's Foundation, for research to find a cure."

(If no, ask for a donation from the store or company. You may be sent
to the owner or corporate or district manager--that's another ball of
wax and another e-mail--
----but, it may be that you have to reassure them that they are under
no liability if the cans disappear; I have had this concern raised
several times, and one time it was not expressed at first when I was
getting a "No, I never allow cans at the register", then when the
theft issue came up and I reassured him that we are aware of this, and
there would be no accusations, liability, etc., he said Yes
wholeheartedly.)

"Thank you very much for your support!"